[Samba] Removing requirement for local machine accounts

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Wed Jan 8 17:10:48 GMT 2003

"Bradley W. Langhorst" wrote:

> > It would also be nice if there was a way to alias all the system machine
> > accounts into one system account (and, for that matter, the samba machine
> > accounts into one samba account) and have samba do magic to keep what it
> > needs seperated out somewhere I don't have to worry about (Is this kind of
> > stuff in secrets.tdb?).
> the aliasing idea can't work because each machine must have its own
> password(it's updated automatically every x days)

This is not strictly true. The machine passwords are kept in the file
smbpasswd not in /etc/passwd. You could hack smbpasswd to always create
machine accounts with a fixed UID. Then you only need one account in
/etc/passwd with this UID instead of one account for each machine.

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177
PGP Key: 0x8408D65D