[Samba] Removing requirement for local machine accounts

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Wed Jan 8 17:00:01 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 10:57, Dan Peterson wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to not have to worry about machine accounts on the
> server. My organization is looking to move thousands of machines and many
> locations to XP and, if possible, we'd like to avoid the headache of
> managing more system and samba accounts. Basically, I'd like a way to say "I
> don't care who joins my domain, just do whatever is necessary to make them
> think they have." I'd be willing to pay for such a feature (please contact
> me via email).
lucky for you this is already in place...
as machines join a domain you can configure things so that the machine
account is "auto-created" - see the howto collection.

You may want to commission an automatic machine account deletion when
machines leave the domain...  As far as i know that doesn't happen yet.

> It would also be nice if there was a way to alias all the system machine
> accounts into one system account (and, for that matter, the samba machine
> accounts into one samba account) and have samba do magic to keep what it
> needs seperated out somewhere I don't have to worry about (Is this kind of
> stuff in secrets.tdb?).
the aliasing idea can't work because each machine must have its own
password(it's updated automatically every x days)

brad
--
Bradley W. Langhorst <brad at langhorst.com>