[Samba] Authenticating against a Windows 2000 DC?

Frank Matthieß frankm at lug-owl.de
Sun Jan 5 12:08:01 GMT 2003

At  5.01.2003 on  4:29 CET  +0100, wrote Chris Palmer:
> > From: Daniel Wittenberg [mailto:daniel-wittenberg at uiowa.edu]
>
> > I don't have a url handy at the moment, but you want to look at using
> > winbind, it'll do what you're looking for.
>
> Thanks for the clue. :)
>
> I found documentation for it at http://myserver:901/swat/help/winbindd.8.html. I followed the directions there to the letter, although I only changed /etc/pam.d/samba, none of the others. (Should I change any of the others?)

"Samba-HOWTO-Collection" Page 73.

> However, "getent passwd" and "getent group" show only the contents of my /etc/passwd and /etc/group, and not the stuff from my Windows domain. Also, I cannot log into SWAT anymore (!) -- although I can mount Samba shares on my Windows workstation using my Linux username and password (but not my Windows username/password).
>
> So clearly I'm missing some critical step.
>
> winbindd, smbd and nmbd are all running. My /etc/nsswitch.conf is as follows:
[...]
Seems to be correct.

> Here is /etc/pam.d/samba:
[...]

Seems to be correct.

> And the [global] section of /etc/samba/smb.conf:
[...]

Seems to be correct.

> Does anyone have any idea what I'm missing? Thanks in advance, again.

Does your samba server DEV hav a machineaccount in domain?

You have joined samba to the domain?

For "special user" you have setup a usetr mapping windows names <-> unix
names?

man smb.conf:
       username map (G)
              This option allows you to specify a file containing a mapping of
	          usernames from the clients to the server. This can be  used  for
			  [...]
              You can map Windows usernames that have spaces in them by  using
              double quotes around the name. For example:

              tridge = "Andrew Tridgell"

              would  map  the  windows  username "Andrew Tridgell" to the unix
              username "tridge".
			  [...]

With regards
Frank Matthieß.