[Samba] Initial configuration problem

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Jan 2 22:18:01 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Joe Sremack wrote:

> Ok, this has been quite an experience.

Gald you are enjoying it! :)

> I have installed and set up Samba on a Linux server (Red Hat 8.0), but I
> have not had any success connecting the other machines to the server.
> There are a few Windows XP machines and a few OS X.2 machines that need
> to use the server.
>
> All of the machines can ping the server and vice versa.
>
> I can see the server under the workgroup, but when I try opening the
> server's folder, the folder cannot be opened (possibly due to a lack of
> permission).

We are not clairvoyant yet, so if you want meaningful help you need to be
a lot more explicit about what you observed. The above is an
interpretation not an observation.

Precisely, what error message are the MS Windows clients reporting?

Also, what is the output of 'ipconfig /all' on one of your MS Windows
clients?

> Here is my smb.conf:
> # Global parameters
> [global]
> 	netbios name = FILESERVER
> 	server string = Samba %d
> 	security = SHARE

Share mode deos not work too well with recent MS Windows client updates.
Suggest you start with "user" mode. Make sure you add all users to the
smbpasswd file as well as to the /etc/passwd file.

To add users to the smbpasswd file: smbpasswd -a 'user_name'
PS: You can only add a user to smbpasswd if they already have a Unix/Linux
system account in /etc/passwd.

> 	encrypt passwords = Yes
> 	obey pam restrictions = Yes
> 	pam password change = Yes
> 	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> 	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

Is this the correct token sequence for your Linux version passwd program?
Check this by running 'passwd' as root and noting the exact token (string)
sequence.

> 	unix password sync = Yes
> 	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
> 	max log size = 0
> 	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
> 	hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
> 	printing = lprng
>
> [homes]
> 	comment = Home Directories
> 	valid users = %S
> 	read only = No
> 	create mask = 0664
> 	directory mask = 0775
> 	browseable = No
>
> [tmp]
> 	comment = Temporary file space
> 	path = /tmp/Users
> 	read only = No
> 	guest ok = Yes
>
> [public]
> 	comment = Public Stuff
> 	path = /home/samba
> 	write list = @staff
> 	read only = No
> 	guest ok = Yes
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> And I thought Samba was trivial!

Some want us to think that MS Windows networking is trivial also!

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org