[Samba] Initial configuration problem

Joe Sremack jcsremac at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Jan 2 20:14:01 GMT 2003

Ok, this has been quite an experience. I have installed and set up Samba on a Linux server (Red Hat 8.0), but I have not had any success connecting the other machines to the server. There are a few Windows XP machines and a few OS X.2 machines that need to use the server.

All of the machines can ping the server and vice versa.

I can see the server under the workgroup, but when I try opening the server's folder, the folder cannot be opened (possibly due to a lack of permission).

Here is my smb.conf:
# Global parameters
[global]
	netbios name = FILESERVER
	server string = Samba %d
	security = SHARE
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
	unix password sync = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 0
	hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
	printing = lprng

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	valid users = %S