[Samba] Samba and OSX

Philip Edelbrock phil at netroedge.com
Thu Jan 2 17:57:00 GMT 2003

Command-K in the 'finder' (aka the desktop) or Go->Connect to Server
menu and then smb://servername will let you browse and connect.  Or, for
unix-terminal freaks, you can use mount_smbfs (there is a man page for
it for usage details).  Mounted shares will show up as an icon on the
desktop as well as in /Volumes/sharename.  Oh, btw, you need encrypted
password support on the server for the keychain to remember your
passwords (this is a similar issue to WinXP's ability to not remember
plain-text passwords).

Use the help menu to dig up some info on how to connect if you need more
help.  Also, Apple's web site has a support area with some related
documents.

OS-X still has some serious problems for network users, though.  For
example, when connected to a SMB server, most non-ascii chars in
file/folder names get mapped to '_'.  Yuck!  Worst still, some chars do
not (like the cursive latin f [option-f]) which get written to the
server correctly but confuses OS-X when the directory contents are read
back...  OS-X then invalidates the entire directory list causing all the
files and directories to disappear.  Experiment and know these issues
before you deploy!

Apple still has some work to do... :'(

Phil