[Samba] PDF Printer issue

Florian Stahl fstahl at xantury.com
Thu Feb 27 18:48:01 GMT 2003

Hi list,

I have stepped over this description for Printing from Windows into PDF
files.

> > Also very nice PDF/Samba Howto here:
> > http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue72/bright.html
>
> The script in packaging/Mandrake/print-pdf (or something like that) is
> IMHO a better solution. I can expand as to why if you are interested.
>
> BTW, Mandrake 9.0 and later have a working pdf converter out-the-box
> (just need to upload a printer driver).
>
> Buchan

my /etc/samba/smb.conf has this section for it  (Samba 2.2.1)

[pdf]
   path = /tmp/spool
   printable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   print command = /var/space/samba/printpdf.sh %s %J %c %z %f
   lpq command =
   lprm command =

(I know the %J %c %z %f is bogus, I was trying to figure the document name)

Everything works fine as far as I start printing larger files - a Word
document containing 150 pages text (NO graphics!), I get only partial
results, a random part of pages of the original document.

It seems that my W2K client, whatever option I tried in the Printer Driver
Properties, starts spoolsv.exe to spool print data - that causes smbd to
swallow resources heavily (50 %) until spoolsv.exe finishes, and then cuts
off the rest of the data.

I have tried many different postscript drivers, including those with Large
Memory defaults for their machines, and every option in their properties
(i.e. dont use spooler, pass straight to printer etc).

I pretty much believe its a W2K issue, if I use the above SHARE-section
[pdf]
with "print command = ", I can print a 600 pages document, but of course
straight
to happy virtual hunting grounds...

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Florian
(fstahl at xantury.com)