[Samba] Samba 2.2.7a - UID Problems ?

Nico Schottelius schottelius at wdt.de
Wed Feb 26 16:12:08 GMT 2003

Hello!

We are using samba 2.2.7a with a 2.4.20+xfs Kernel. Now we've got the problem
that sometimes a database client (which is loaded from a samba share) can't
find some files. It's randomly which ones are missing and it's not
exactly reproduceable.

What I've seen is that after some time the user id of the smbd process changes:

17:47:   smbd  nico
17:50:   smbd  bastian
17:51:   smbd  nico
17:58:   smbd  root

The process keeps on beeing there, the pid does not change.
It looks like when the smbd process changes the uid the connection from the
client is lost. Under Linux, smbmount seems to reintitate a new connection.
I can't really tell what windos does, but what I see is the lack of files
(or at least the database client does..whenever I look into the explorer,
I can see them...).

What should I do? Do you have any suggestions ? If I can debug it or if you
know howto solve, please tell me.

Thanks in advance,

Nico