[Samba] Samba locking problem - is this a bug ?

System Administrators At Netclime Inc. admin at netclime.com
Tue Feb 25 11:58:20 GMT 2003

What you mean, by the program opening the file decides how to open it ?
Is it depend on the filesystem handling of open calls ? I mean - it
doesn't matter ith which program I create the file on the share (I tried
3-4 vaious) this DENY_FCB RDWR shows always.

After the connection between the client that creates the file and the
server breaks - no other client has even read access to the file - the
file still has DENY_FCB set.

I made this sample test (all three pcs - the server abd PC1 and PC2 are
in local LAN):
1. Mount 'share' on PC1 and PC2 (both linuxes)
2. on PC1 used mcedite to open a sample file 1.txt (I tried this with
different programs). PC2 cannot access 1.txt.
3. Write something in 1.txt, save it and then unplug the network cable
of PC1
4. Now still PC2 cannot access file 1.txt - it still has DENY_FCB.

My point is, that shouldn't SAMBA server take care of lost connection to
the clients and remove the file locks ? And why "share modes = no"
doesn;t remove support for DENY_FCB and other similar modes ?

regards
Kosta