[Samba] Is Samba made for trash?!? Newp.

Jean-Paul ARGUDO jean.paul.argudo at pack-solutions.com
Fri Feb 21 13:52:52 GMT 2003

 > By then, we discovered that if we disabled all oplocks,
> we got no more corruption.

I posted here weeks ago problems regarding Excel 97 file corruption. I
finally disabled oplocks then.

But day passing, I had new problems with Word 97 :-/  (new posts here,
mainly not answered but a tip on how to get clients at same time that
servers... -NET command usage...):

Many times a day, clients here when oppening a MS Word 97 document have
it in "READ ONLY" mode, but seems no reason fort that!!

I recently put oplocks *back* ON *but* with veto-ing excel files...
I hope this change could solve de pb..

Waiting for changes, I read again docs about oplocks (Samba HOWTO
Collection -R-O-X-, O'Reilly and SAM'S books too)

Again and again.... but as Jeremy says thereafter, seems a problem *in*
Word 97 ... Maybe I'll have to patch it  (it's original version, just
patched with Euro Font Fix, nothing more, maybe the source of the
problems? -Idem with Excel....)

> That Samba file server has been incredibly stable,
> serving terabytes of data to almost 100 clients.
> We've seen no file corruption since that day.  You'll
> find many admins who agree with me - Samba rocks!

Same opinion here. Samba works like a charm. We got 2.2.3a Debian woody
stable release (damm when will they upgrade at debian?? ;-)).

--
Jean-Paul ARGUDO