[Samba] Is Samba made for trash ?!?

Michael Paarmann mp at squit.de
Thu Feb 20 15:56:16 GMT 2003

Hi Jerry !

>Do you have "security = domain"?  Did you join teh Samba box to the
>domain using smbpasswd?  Please supply a copy of your smb.conf.
>Send it to me off list if you want.

Ok, here it is:

[global]
workgroup = Office
os level = 128
server string = File- and Printserver
encrypt passwords = Yes
guest account = Nobody
map to guest = Bad User
security = DOMAIN
printing = LPRNG
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = Yes
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Re-enter*new*password* %n\n
*Password*changed*
unix password sync = yes
local master = YES
character set = ISO8859-15
client code page = 850
mangle case = no
case sensitive = no
short preserve case = yes
preserve case = yes
time server = yes
admin users = domadmin
log file = /var/log/samba/samba_log.%U@%m
max log size = 500
log level = 0
logon script = %U.bat
logon path = \\server_office01\%U\profileNT
logon home = \\server_office01\%U
hide dot files = yes
domain logons = YES
domain master = YES
preferred master = True
local master = Yes
wins support = Yes
hosts allow = 192.168.0.
hosts deny = ALL EXCEPT 192.168.0.
kernel oplocks = NO
level2 oplocks = NO

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
read only = No
create mask = 0770
directory mask = 0770
browseable = No
oplocks = no

[netlogon]
comment = Network Logon Service
path = /home/samba/netlogon

[printers]
comment = Alle Drucker
path = /tmp
create mask = 0600
printable = Yes
browseable = No
printer admin = @ma
oplocks = no

[profiles]
comment = Network Profiles Service
path = /home/%U/profileNT
writeable = yes
create mode = 0770
directory mode = 0770
browseable = No
oplocks = NO

[interna]
path = /daten/interna
create mode = 0770
directory mode = 0770
force group = ma
valid users = @ma
comment = Interna
write list = @ma
oplocks = NO

....and so on...

I've disabled all oplocks. With them the clients crashed much more often
than without. But Samba is a lot slower.

>You are dealing with a different network protocol and different network
>clients.

No, i'm only working with TCP/IP now. And yes, the clients work with W98 or
W2K.

>   It is possible that a misformatted response could cause client
>crashes (like explorer.exe or spoolss.exe), but you are going to have to
>be more specific here.

That's right. Spool32.exe or spoolss.exe die very often. I can see a read
or a write socket error in the log list nearly at the same time.

>I will say that there are no known issues of clients crashing due to
>the Samba release.
>
> > Or are 35 workstations and 15 printers too much for one Samba server ?
>
>No.  Samba on apprpriate hardware can handle much more than that :-)

Ok.

>Upgrade to 2.2.7a.  You are running an older release.

Hmm, do you really think that this can solve some of my problems? The
update from 2.2.3a to 2.2.5 wasn't very effective.

But is there a possibility to set Samba in a kind of "Compatibility Mode",
so that i can be sure the source of the problems isn't Samba ?

Thanks in advance.

Michel