[Samba] Samba vs IPP printing

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 12 22:16:02 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 02:57, Chris Smith wrote:
> Not including cases of unsupported clients for IPP printing (such as
> Windows NT) are there any reasons/caveats for installations running CUPS
> to not move over to IPP printing?
> Are there any features or benefits to Windows/Samba printing for Windows
> clients that make it superior compared to IPP?

Probably the most notable one is the printer driver download stuff, and
the fact that it looks and behaves like any other NT print server.  I'm
not convinced that the optional IPP client from MS is really that well
tested, and from reports it doesn't handle authentication etc at all.

For many organizations, the need to install an optional client on each
computer kills things off pretty quickly.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net