[Samba] Locking between GNU/Linux and Microsoft Windows

Freddy Spierenburg freddy at dusktilldawn.nl
Wed Feb 12 16:05:21 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with locking between GNU/Linux and
Microsoft Windows. I wrote some Clipper code that run's on
GNU/Linux and Microsoft Windows (compiled to different binaries
ofcourse) that tries to lock a file on a Samba share.

Between Microsoft Windows clients there is no problem. The
locking works as expected. If one client does an EXCLUSIVE lock,
the other's can't lock the file anymore. The same thing happens
on multiple GNU/Linux clients. No problem at all.

The problem is that if a GNU/Linux client locks the file, a
Microsoft Windows client can still lock the file. It looks to me
that the locking does not work across the different platforms.

I do not know much about locking, but from the documentation it
looks to me that kernel oplocks should be my friend. But
unfortunately I doesn't seem to work. Does anybody have a hint to
where I should look?

The GNU/Linux client is a Red Hat 7.2 (kernel 2.4.7-10smp)
running Samba version 2.2.1a-4 and the Microsoft Windows clients
runs Microsoft Windows 2000 Server.

$ testparm|grep locks

	kernel oplocks = Yes
	blocking locks = Yes