[Samba] re: Samba up, but not listening

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Feb 12 05:59:21 GMT 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, ala_frosty wrote:

> Thanks Joel,
>
> I think you are correct, in order to successfully run Samba on Redhat 8.0,
> one needs to know what's going on with iptables, and probably a bunch of
> "other stuff" that I don't know yet. Here's hoping that someone else on this
> list has had some experience with this sort of thing, and knows how to get
> the security to let the packets through.

Log on as 'root'. Run: 'iptables -L -vn'
This will tell you if you have any iptables rules in place.

To find which start-up script starts a firewall on your system:
	cd /etc/rc.d/init.d
	grep iptables *

If the script is called 'firewall' you can turn it off by:
	/etc/rc.d/init.d/firewall stop

Also, be aware that your tcp_wrappers may be part of the problem too. So
check the contents of:
	/etc/hosts.allow
	/etc/hosts.deny

> I guess I shall have to offer a documentation suggestion when I get this
> running finally. Someone somewhere needs to note that Samba will not work if
> there is firewall software in place preventing packets getting to smbd or
> nmbd. I haven't read _anything_ _anywhere_ that even hinted that something
> else on the system might be able to prevent the packet transmission to
> samba, but that's definitely what is happening. Maybe even add commentary to
> "the tests" that indicate if these are the characteristics you are
> experiencing, while Samba is running, then your networked machines can't see
> the shares because of a firewall.

How much documentation on samba could there be before people will just
stop reading ti altogether? It is difficult enough to get folks to read
what is there now. :)

> Oh well, this is probably going to take me another week. I've tried using
> the Redhat Security Level setting software, but even when I set it to "no
> firewall protection" Samba still doesn't work.

The above might help.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra