[Samba] re: Samba up, but not listening

ala_frosty frosty at atlantech.net
Wed Feb 12 04:36:21 GMT 2003

Thanks Joel,

I think you are correct, in order to successfully run Samba on Redhat 8.0,
one needs to know what's going on with iptables, and probably a bunch of
"other stuff" that I don't know yet. Here's hoping that someone else on this
list has had some experience with this sort of thing, and knows how to get
the security to let the packets through.

I guess I shall have to offer a documentation suggestion when I get this
running finally. Someone somewhere needs to note that Samba will not work if
there is firewall software in place preventing packets getting to smbd or
nmbd. I haven't read _anything_ _anywhere_ that even hinted that something
else on the system might be able to prevent the packet transmission to
samba, but that's definitely what is happening. Maybe even add commentary to
"the tests" that indicate if these are the characteristics you are
experiencing, while Samba is running, then your networked machines can't see
the shares because of a firewall.

Oh well, this is probably going to take me another week. I've tried using
the Redhat Security Level setting software, but even when I set it to "no
firewall protection" Samba still doesn't work.

Cheers,

Stephen