[Samba] Active Directory - Which Samba version is needed?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Sat Feb 8 21:08:56 GMT 2003

> Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 18:19:33 +0100
> From: Alexander Skwar <ASkwar at email-server.info>
> To: Guenther Deschner <gd at suse.de>
> Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [Samba] Active Directory - Which Samba version is needed?
> Message: 16
>
> So sprach Guenther Deschner am 2003-02-07 um 11:51:42 +0100 :
>
>>> you should set up samba with winbindd to achieve this.
>>> http://de.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#WINBIND
>

> Hmm, what's the command I need to type to join the Active Directory?
> Would it be:
>
> smbpasswd -j europe.delphiauto.net -U Administrator

AFAIK, for AD you need to do 'net ads join' after getting a kerberos
ticket, but not having tried this I am not sure ...

> "europe.delphiauto.net" is the tree of the AD that this server needs to
> be a member of - I suppose.  Or rather, all the users that will login to
> the server are in this AD tree.  So I suppose the server should also be
> in this AD tree.
>

>>> maybe you should give us more details on this. how do you plan to restrict
>>> access to these shares?
>

> Good question!
>
> Well, we're migrating away from a Unix based network to a Windows
> network (no, I don't particulary like it, but I can't do anything about
> it...).
>
> In Unix, we restricted access based on the machines.  Since all the
> machines had static IPs, that wasn't a problem.  We haven't yet decided
> how to restrict access in the Windows setup.  We're thinking about
> implementing user based restrictions.  But that has yet to be decided...

Alexander, I know you run some mandrake boxen, if one of these machines
is running Mandrake, try the samba3 RPMs (ie from cooker contrib), which
will (mostly, I have a conflict in the cooker set atm I think) install
parallel to samba-2.2.x.

Get binaries for 9.0 here:
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/mandrake9.0/samba-3.0alpha21/
(sorry, no hdlists atm)

The should be compiled with all the right bits for AD, you should
probably only need -common, -server and -winbind, but why not test them
all for me?

Regards,
Buchan