[Samba] Help a newbie (please!): Samba and WinXP in a non-PDC environment

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sun Feb 9 00:07:38 GMT 2003

What kind of security to you want?
If you are willing to allow guest access (no password needed), the following
works fine for me:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from jhammer6.jhammer.org (192.168.0.6)
# Date: 2001/08/21 20:14:15

# Global parameters
[global]
        encrypt passwords = yes
	netbios name = HAMMER2
	security = SHARE
	guest account = ftp

[AllFiles]
	comment = All Files
	path = /
	read only = no
	guest ok =  yes

I am not clear on all the details of the guest account. If you make
security = user, you will have to supply a valid password to get in. The
guest account must exist on the server. To make this useful, you must
allow the guest account, in this case ftp, to have access to your share
on the server box with the usual permission adjustments.

I run my daemons as root (They start with the startup scripts.)  I do
not know if things would be different if you ran the daemons as a
regular user.

Joel