[Samba] File "In Use" when it's not... problem

C. Cau ccau at itsyn.it
Sat Feb 8 16:20:45 GMT 2003

> i'ts not always samba. espacially office uses a lot of TSR programms,
> which will unlock the files extremly late...

it's possible... the problem in my case surfaces when the user opens a file,
and it gets opened as a "read-only" file. Or (I mean XOR :-) when trying to
save, and the file appears to be allocated by another user, which is not the
case in reality.

Thus I'm possibly facing TWO different problems:

1) files being opened as "read-only" (but their attrib are *not* read-only)

2) files supposedly already locked when a user tries to save them.
 [I did verify that nobody else previously opened a "case-2" file, at least in
the same workday, otherwise we're probably back to case 1]

Case (2) is a good candidate for your hypotesis, but case (1) seems to be
different. [of course, nobody else previously opened a "case-2" file,
otherwise we're back to case (1)]

Unfortunately couldn't find a reasonable explanation and/or solution for the
problem, but fortunately it's not a huge problem, just a nuisance.

Thanks,

Corrado