[Samba] Re: File log

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Feb 5 08:45:13 GMT 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Frank Nørvig wrote:

> > Yes. It is possible. You need to use a recent version of samba (2.2.7a is
> > the latest) that has been built with the VFS modules enabled.
>
> Sounds like that would do the thing. But it is possible to make it log into
> anything else but syslog? My syslog is big enough already...

In your smb.conf [globals]:

	log file = /var/log/samba/%m

Will create a separate log file for each workstation.

	max log size = 0

Means let it grow adinfinitum.

	syslog = 0

Means do not log to syslog.

	log level = 1

Should be verbose enough to track anything useful and keep the per
workstation log from growing too rapidly.

Really suggest you try your hand at reading the man page for smb.conf:

	man smb.conf

Cheers,
John T.
--