FW: [despammed] [Samba] Samba - winXP lookup

Linda W. samba at tlinx.org
Tue Feb 4 03:41:42 GMT 2003

> Might not be it...but the '30 second lockup' triggered a memory...
>
> Could this be the 'looking for scheduled tasks' problem?
> Here's a blurb from the
> windows-net-mag site
> (http://www.win2000mag.net/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=24546)
.

Like Windows 2000, XP suffers from a little-documented browse delay. When you browse to a Windows 9x computer name (\\computername),
your XP computer checks for Scheduled Tasks on computers to which it's connecting. This search can cause as much as a 30-second
delay. If you browse to the share name (\\computername\share), this delay won't occur. To eliminate the search for Scheduled Tasks
and increase your browse speed, delete the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF
} subkey, which is of type REG_SZ.

-linda