[Samba] Slow browsing through Windows Explorer

Curtis Strite curtis at scdservices.com
Tue Dec 30 12:11:55 GMT 2003

Hello,

I'm having a very strange problem with Samba version 2.2.7a.  I have four
boxes,  Two Linux Mandrake Boxes (Morpheus and Unreal both v. 9.2), One
RedHat (Link v. 8.0) and an XP Workstation (Kek XP Pro NO SP1).

When I bring up My computer (Explorer) and attempt to browse through the H:
drive (SMB Share mapped to Users Home dir on Morpheus), Y: drive (SMB Share
maped to /backup on Unreal)

It takes a veary, very long time to list the files on any of the mapped
samba drives.  It basically hangs the explorer.exe process.  I can bring up
the task manager, I can still toggle (Control + Tab) between other apps that
are open, but I cannot access my start menu or do anything with the current
explorer window that's reading the files form the network.

However with the task manager open I can launch a new task cmd.exe and then
fro the command prompt I can C:>H: change to the H: drive, do a "dir" and
list all the files, I can even dig down into sub dirs and list files over
the network, the whole time the explorer process appears to be hung trying
to list the files, just like I did in the command prompt window.

Then after about 4 or 5 mintues, everything comes back to normal, it shows
all the files in the explorer window, and then any clicking I did like on
the start menu or trying to move winodws while it was hung all happens very
quickly and then it's fine.  Until I try to access the drive again in about
2 or 3 hours.

Sorry so long.
Thanks in advance for any help.
--