[Samba] Open Source W2k Policy Implementation (was Re: Windows2000 policies in a Samba PDC)

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Dec 29 17:11:08 GMT 2003

Clint,

In my new book "Samba-3 by Example", which will be released to open source
when the book is in print, I have given step-by-step prescriptive guidance
on how to implement total control over client Windows workstations. I have
restricted coverage to NT4 style profiles, even though I am fully aware
that SYSVOL type Win2kx profiles do partly work.

That book will be available in April, and will be part of the samba-docs
project (that is where the Samba-HOWTO-Collection also has its home).

The reasons for which I have not provided guidance specific to Win2K GPO
implementation are:

	1. Part of the protocol is dependant on Active Directory queries
		that Samba-3 can not support.
	2. NT4 Policies allow almost everything that must be achieved
		without a whole lot more complicated steps that are
		very easy to get wrong.

But if you wish to help document what you have done I am most willing to
put it in the appendix and to point readers at it from appropriate
locations in the text.

Cheers,
John T.