[Samba] Creation of Domain- and PDC-SID in samba

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sun Dec 28 22:24:18 GMT 2003

Craig,

I feel your pain, but just want to comment that I have now completed
chapter 8 of my new book "Samba-3 by Example". This chapter is called,
"Migration from NT4 to Samba-3," and in it I have documented the precise
steps for migration using LDAP ldapsam, as well as using tdbsam.

It all went pretty smoothly.

The key gotcha's I found are:

1. You must configure LDAP correctly to start off, have a clean Samba
install (never started - ie: no tdb files and no secrets.tdb file).

Note: LDAP should have only the top-level entry, plus the container
entries for People and Groups.

2. You must edit smbldap_conf.pm and smb.conf correctly, then do:
	smbpasswd -w 'LDAP_admin_password'
Note: Have "domain master = No"

3. You must do:
	net rpc getsid -S 'NT4server_name' -W 'Domain'
-UAdministrator%'password'

4. You should then join the domain as a BDC:
	net rpc join -S 'NT4server_name' -UAdministrator%'password'

5. Start Samba

6. Suck off the accounts:
	net rpc vampire -S 'NT4server_name' -UAdministrator%'password'

Of course, the choke-points are getting LDAP to accept all accounts with
both the Posix and SambaSAM entries.

Here is the output from my last Vampire:

<root> # net rpc vampire -S NT4S
Fetching DOMAIN database
SAM_DELTA_DOMAIN_INFO not handled
Creating account: Administrator
Creating account: Guest
Creating account: NT4S$
Creating account: massive$
Creating account: barryf
Creating account: gdaison
Creating account: atrikhoffer
Creating account: hramsbotham
Creating account: fsellerby
Creating account: jrhapsody
Group members of Domain Admins:
Group members of Domain Users: NT4S$(primary),massive$(primary),
Group members of Domain Guests: nobody(primary),
Group members of rubberboot:
Group members of engineers:
Group members of accounting:
Group members of catalyst:
Group members of shipping:
Group members of receiving:
Group members of marketiod:
Group members of sales:
Fetching BUILTIN database
SAM_DELTA_DOMAIN_INFO not handled

The errors regarding the SAM_DELTA_DOMAIN_INFO are normal because Samba
does not know how to handle that.

NT4S is the NT4 PDC, MASSIVE is my Samba-3 BDC.

I guess this does not help you, but I did want to clear the air that
Vampire is not that big a monster - at all.

Cheers,
John T.

--
John H Terpstra