[Samba] Group owner ID not mapped to name.

Fernando Ruza fernandor at sescam.jccm.es
Fri Dec 26 13:41:22 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm using samba as a member of a W2k domain (security=DOMAIN) and
winbind to unify logins with users from the W2k. The problem is that
when I assign an owner user and group to a file/directory in the samba
server the group is not mapped to the name of the group, the user is ok.
Instead it appears the group number.

[root at hserint2 fruza]# ls -l
total 8
drwxrwxr-x    2 HGUV+fruza 10000        4096 dic 18 15:21 kk

The group 10000 is "HGUV+Usuarios del dominio", in English "HGUV+Domain
users" however the name doesn't appear. Anyone knows why ?? How can I
solve it ?? It's not very important however I'd like to see the group
name instead the number.

wbinfo -u, wbinfo -g, getent passwd, getent group everytying works ok.

My smb.conf is:

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = HGUV
	server string = %h server (Samba %v)
	security = DOMAIN
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 0
	dns proxy = No
	idmap uid = 10000-20000
	idmap gid = 10000-20000
	template shell = /bin/bash
	winbind separator = +
	printing = lprng

[homes]
	comment = Homes: (%u) (%U) (%D\%S)
	path = /home/%D/%U
	read only = No
	create mask = 0664
	directory mask = 0775
	browseable = No

[Prueba]
	comment = Pruebas (usuario: %u o tambien: %D+%U)
	path = /home/prueba
	valid users = HGUV+fruza, HGUV+administrador
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[tmp]
	comment = Temporary file space