[Samba] "Account Unknown" problem (Samba3 domain users in WinNT permissions)

Fermín Galán fermin.galan at agora-2000.com
Wed Dec 24 10:22:44 GMT 2003

Hello,

I'm suffering a estrange problem in a WinNT-Samba3 environment. I have two
servers: WinNT4 (PDC of domain A-DOMAIN) and Samba3 (PDC of B-DOMAIN).
A-DOMAIN and B-DOMAIN trust each other (I had followed the procedures
described in HOWTO Chapter 16 successfully).

The problem arises when I assign permission in WinNT server's folders
(A-DOMAIN) for users in the Samba domain (B-DOMAIN). I can add users of the
B-DOMAIN in the Permissions dialog, but after accepting changes, the next
time that I open the Permission dialog the previously added users appears as
"B-DOMAIN/Account Unknown" instead of the their original name. The estrange
thing is that the permission access defined works fine: the problem seems to
affect only to visualization.

I have searched through the archives and found several mails with the same
or similar problem, but referring to old Samba releases (I'm using Samba
3.0.1rc1) and giving no convincing solution. For example:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-ntdom/1999-September/006794.html)

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-ntdom/2000-November/016126.html

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22account+unknown%22+samba&hl=es&lr=&ie=U
TF-8&selm=Pine.GSO.4.21.0003061606200.268-100000%40timon&rnum=5

Is there any solution to this problem in Samba3 (or, at least, an indication
of what the cause could be)?

Thanks!

------
Fermín