[Samba] Problems with printers

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Dec 22 19:47:37 GMT 2003

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Rob Sell wrote:

> Dan,
>
> They do not show up using smbclient either. I have a printers share, and I
> have load printers set to yes.

> John,
> Samba was compiled but not linked against cups. I didn't have the mime stuff
> set in cups, I do now. But why does samba pick up my 5 printers without
> being linked to cups?

If samba was not linked with the cups-devel libraries, then do NOT set
"printing = cups" that will break things. You should either compile and
link against the cups-devel libraries, or else just use "printing = bsd"
or "printing = "sysv", depending on which commands you want to use.

If you use "printing = sysv", then set "printcap = lpstat -t".

Note: Only use "printing = sysv" if you have LPRng installed. This will
not work if your systems does not support the AT&T command tools (lp,
lpstat).

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra