[Samba] Can't compile 3.01 on Solaris

Schoep, Grant at STORM grant.schoep at L-3Com.com
Fri Dec 19 20:08:42 GMT 2003

I can't get 3.0.1 to fully compile on my Solaris machines(2.6 and 2.8) Below
is an example the error I am getting. Note, that it errored out earlier with
the same problem, I typed make again and it went on to the next file, got
the same error about a file with extension .o.o not existing.

The actual error:
---
Compiling lib/replace1.c with -KPIC
mv: cannot access lib/replace1.po.o.o
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `lib/replace1.po.o'
---

I look in the makefile, and I do see it has references to .o.o things.

For example:
----

.c.po.o:
	@if (: >> $@ || : > $@) >/dev/null 2>&1; then rm -f $@; else \
	  dir=`echo $@ | sed 's,/[^/]*$$,,;s,^$$,.,'` $(MAKEDIR); fi
	@echo Compiling $*.c with -KPIC
	@$(CC) -I. -I$(srcdir) $(FLAGS) -KPIC -c $< -o $*.po.o
#	-mv `echo $@ | sed -e 's%^.*/%%g' -e 's%\.po.o$$%.o%'` $@
	@mv $*.po.o.o $@
----

Any ideas, I'm really hoping to try to get 3.0.1 Samba built and running on
our machines over the holiday break. I've succesfully compiled it on a
number of other unix platforms(Tru64 and Linux) so it must be a Solaris
issue.

Thanks
-grant