[Samba] Re: Transfering Machine Accounts / MACHINE.SID

Kevin Fries kevin-nntp at hcico.com
Fri Dec 19 18:53:35 GMT 2003

Kevin Fries wrote:

> I have a Samba 2.2.7 PDC, and I am now trying to set up a new 3.0.1
> server. I want this machine to act as a BDC initially and replicate all
> the
> accounts over.  When I followed the howto it said to use smbpasswd -S to
> transfer the machine SID and then to replicate the smbpasswd file to the
> new server.  This has caused two major problems:
>
>   1) the smbpasswd command does not support the -S option
>
>   2) My user accounts transfered to the new machine, but not the machine
>      trust accounts.

OK, found this one.  I forgot to move the posix accounts over to the new
machines and Samba silently ignored the accounts.  pdbedit on the other
hand screamed bloody murder.  Added PosixAccount to my machine entries in
the new LDAP server, and Samba 3 found them thanks to nss_ldap.

However, I still do not have a MACHINE.SID file because the smbpasswd
command does not work as advertised.  Is it OK to just copy that file from
the old machine?

Thx
Kevin Fries