[Samba] emergency- machines kicked off network after PDC 2.2.8->3.0.0 upgrade

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Dec 17 16:59:42 GMT 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Brett Dikeman wrote:

> After upgrading our PDC to 3.0.0 last night(and confirming logins worked
> properly)...this morning, we had two machines report errors says the
> machine account does not exist or has been changed.  Last night, users-
> even ones who had not been on that particular workstation before- were
> able to login on at least 6 out of 30-40 workstations.
>
> All configuration files were moved over, including the "secrets" file-
> logins worked just fine.  Searches on google turn up nothing helpful,
> and attempts to use smbpasswd have failed.  I just attempted to add a
> new machine(well, a machine that was added to the old PDC, after we
> sync'd config+pw files) to the domain, and received:
>
> # smbpasswd -m czar
> Failed to find entry for user czar$
>
> The entry does in fact exist in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.
>
> I then tried pdbedit -a -m -u czar
>
> When I went to the system and tried to re-add it to the domain, it
> claimed the domain did not exist or could not be contacted.
>
> To eliminate iptables from the problem, even though 137-139 tcp+udp were
> open, I shut it down.  No change.
>
> The "upgrading" doc mentions nothing that would help us in this
> extremely straightforward(machine trust accounts) issue...I've found it
> to be severely lacking.  This is extremely disappointing...

Well, since I am the one who put the confusion into the HOWTO, perhaps I
should try to help you.

Please execute:
	testparm -s > myconfig

I would like you to send me the "myconfig" file this creates, as well as
the console output from running the command. Please email this to me
off-line.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra