[Samba] Samba Variables and TCP/IP Throughput

Greg Dickie greg at max-t.com
Wed Dec 17 15:06:24 GMT 2003

I believe samba just does setsockopt or ioctl on the sockets. Do you get any
errors on the interfaces in jumbo? Does your switch support jumbo? Setting
"use sendfile=yes" will help alot on read speeds from samba. On the windows
side check the settings. I think the e1000 has some adaptive spacing setting
that kills throughput. Also some things to check on the linux side. e1000
module options like rxIntDelay, etc.

You will not get much more performance out of jumbo unless your CPUs are maxed
but you should not get less. What kind of numbers are you seeing?

hope this helps.
Greg

Greg Dickie
just a guy