[Samba] SOLVED Samba 3.0.0, CUPS support - "Unable to open printcap file cups for read!"

Carsten Büchner carsten.buechner at edag.de
Wed Dec 17 07:29:44 GMT 2003

Fran Fabrizio wrote:
> I'm still having print problems.  I'm beginning to wonder if it's my
> version of CUPS rather than Samba.  When I print from my Windows Samba
> clients, the job shows up in the /var/spool/cups directory, and CUPS web
> admin says the job completed, but it never prints anything.  Same thing
> from linux samba clients works fine (i.e. if I do 'smbclient
> //ds119b/myprinter' and then 'print /etc/printcap', it works fine).

I had the same probleme here.
I use RedHat 8.0, cups 1.1.19 and samba 3.00 (the rpm from samba.org for RedHat8)
cups was working fine, but the printcap problem was reported in the samba-logs.
So I have got the srpm-samba3.00 from samba.org and rebuild the whole thing -
the problem is gone...

--
Carsten Buechner
EDAG-Wolfsburg        | Phone:    +49-05361-799181
38444 Wolfsburg       | eMail:    cb3008 at edag.de