[Samba] SOLVED Samba 3.0.0, CUPS support - "Unable to open printcap file cups for read!"

Fran Fabrizio fran at cis.uab.edu
Wed Dec 10 21:09:08 GMT 2003

I'm still having print problems.  I'm beginning to wonder if it's my
version of CUPS rather than Samba.  When I print from my Windows Samba
clients, the job shows up in the /var/spool/cups directory, and CUPS web
admin says the job completed, but it never prints anything.  Same thing
from linux samba clients works fine (i.e. if I do 'smbclient
//ds119b/myprinter' and then 'print /etc/printcap', it works fine).

> CUPS works fine for me here.  No dummy printcap needed.  Something
> else is funny with that configuration.

What version of CUPS?  I have the following RPMs:

cups-devel-1.1.17-13.3.0.3
cups-1.1.17-13.3.0.3
cups-libs-1.1.17-13.3.0.3

Samba 3.0.0 built from source, all standard config settings, on Redhat
9.

My entire smb.conf (mostly based off of the samples in the O'Reilly
book):

[global]
  netbios name = ds119b
  workgroup = CISSAMBADOMAIN
  wins support = yes
  encrypt passwords = yes
  domain master = yes
  local master = yes
  preferred master = yes
  os level = 65
  security = user
  domain logons = yes

  ; roaming profile support
  logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u\%m
  logon script = logon.bat

  logon drive = H:
  logon home = \\%L\%u\.win_profile\%m

  time server = yes

  ; script for adding users
  add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false
-M %u
  add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u

  # print support
  printing = cups
  printcap name = /etc/printcap