[Samba] migrating local user profiles to roaming domain profiles

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Dec 17 06:12:43 GMT 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Andrew Gaffney wrote:

> I have a network of 2K and XP clients that I am migrating to a domain using Samba 3 as a
> PDC. I have the domain working quite well after quite a bit of tweaking. My problem is
> that I want people to logon to the domain, but I also want them to keep their profiles
> from their local users. How can I go about this?

You will need to convert each profile from a local profile to a roaming
profile, then copy it from the local workstation to the profile share on
the samba server.

To convert the profile on XP, Right click the "My Computer" Icon, Select
"Properties", then select the "Advanced" Tab, locate the tool to manage
Users (roughly in the middle of the panel). Click on the profile you wish
to convert, then click "Copy", the rest you will need to figure out. You
can use tis tool to copy the profile directly to the user's profile
directory.

Oh, do not forget to set on this profile permission for the domain user to
access the profile. You can do this with the profile conversion tool, or
else using the Samba "profiles" tool.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra