[Samba] Read-only folders and WinXP

Marco De Vitis starless at spin.it
Tue Dec 16 22:59:15 GMT 2003

Hi, I posted this some time ago but it remained unanswered; sorry for the
repost, but I hope to receive at least some confirmations or otherwise by
other people using WinXP Pro.

Using Samba 2.2.8a, I have a problem on a WinXP Pro client regarding the
read-only attribute on folders; the problem does not appear on Win2000 Pro
clients.
Here it is: setting and unsetting the read-only attribute on files works
fine, both on Win2000 and WinXP. And setting it on _directories_ does not
work, if I recall correctly, neither on Win2000 nor on WinXP (but this is
not a problem). Instead, UNSETTING it on directories works fine on
Win2000, while it doesn't work on WinXP: it doesn't return any error, but
when you open the folder properties again you notice that the attribute
has not changed.

I need this feature for some directories which are periodically set to
read-only from the Linux side and need to be changed to writeable by users
using the clients. It works fine on Win2000, but WinXP is driving me mad.

Any clues? Can anyone confirm that their WinXP behaves the same?
Thanks.

--
Ciao,
  Marco.