[Samba] RE: Secondary Groups and Group Mapping

Klinger, John (N-CSC) john.klinger at lmco.com
Tue Dec 16 16:06:07 GMT 2003

Okay, we have the "net groupmap" command running without errors. We had to add the unixgroup/gid to both the /etc/group file and samba's openldap before groupmap would work without errors. I suspect that we could remove the dependence on /etc/group by modifying nsswitch.conf to add ldap for group resolution [currently just "files winbind" for passwd and group]. We'll be looking at that today.

However, after I established the groupmap, it still doesn't work as I expected. Using the example from my earlier post, if I log into Solaris with user1 that has "LOTR+fairfolk" as his primary group in AD, I thought Samba would translate that to the unix group "elves". What we are seeing is that if I log into Unix as this user and create a file, the group for that file is LOTR+fairfolk. An "id -a" lists "LOTR+fairfolk" in his groups, but not "elves". Furthermore, if I create another file owned by "user2:elves", I expected user1 to be able to access this due to the mapping. He can't; again it appears that Unix only sees him as belonging to "LOTR+fairfolk". I've reread the documentation, and it appears my understanding of groupmap is correct. What am I missing here? What is groupmap supposed to do?

We've downloaded 3.0.1 with hopes it helps resolve these issues. We still have the above groupmap issues. We haven't tried the secondary group access yet.

john