[Samba] Re: multiple ldap servers in bdc/pdc environment

Jérôme Fenal jerome.fenal at logicacmg.com
Tue Dec 16 14:14:04 GMT 2003

Stefan Metzmacher wrote:

> Thomas Hannan wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm setting up a number of samba DC's across several branch offices
>> using the Samba 3.0.0 release's native LDAP support. I'd like to build
>> some redundancy into my setup, such as having slave LDAP servers in case
>> the master is down/unavailable. However, when I have multiple ldapsam
>> entries in my smb.conf I get duplicate or triplicate users listed when
>> performing a /usr/local/samba/bin/pdbedit -L, and all 2 or 3 LDAP
>> servers get queried no matter what. Is there anyway to list multiple
>> backup LDAP servers instead of just having overlapping SAMs?

As Thomas wrote, see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&m=106914899028855&w=2 for more
explanations.

>> Also, there will be some remote offices connected via relatively
>> high-latency WAN links to the master LDAP server. Will this be a problem
>> in terms of adding machine accounts or changing passwords (and that data
>> being replicated to the local slave LDAP server at the branch offices in
>> a timely manner)? I'd like to only have the remote offices send traffic
>> over the WAN links when absolutely necessary (such as changing passwords
>> or receiving replica updates pushed out from the master LDAP server).

Don't know if it is possible to delay LDAP traffic. But AFAIK, LDAP
replication traffic is quite low (except if you really have hundreds of
clients)

Regards,

Jérôme

--
Jérôme Fenal - Consultant Unix/SAN/Logiciel Libre
Groupe Expert & Managed Services - LogicaCMG France