[Samba] Samba 3.0 and Kerberos 5 initial setup

Obry, Dean (GBY) Dean.Obry at gapac.com
Mon Dec 15 21:47:45 GMT 2003

Hello,

I am setting up Samba 3.0 on a RedHat ES 3.0 machine (Intel h/w).   I want
to try to get
Samba authenticating with Active Directory and am somewhat confused by all
of the
installation/config doc out there.

I have the Kerb 5 software installed on my machine as well as the LDAP
software that is suggested.
My questions are these:

   1)    Is Kerberos REQUIRED for me to get Samba authenticating in a W2K
domain
         or is it just a good idea from a security standpoint?
         If required, what is a good source for quick-start
installation/config?   I have found a bunch of
         Kerberos howto doc, but it looks rather involved.   What would be
the quickest way
         to get Kerberos going?

   2)    What other steps do I need to get this whole thing authenticating?
(e.g. LDAP?)

      Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  Dean Obry

Dean Obry
Technical Services Lead

Georgia-Pacific Corporation
email:  dean.obry at gapac.com