[Samba] CHMODded group directories don't keep their attributes

Eric Geater 11/26/03 egeater at mscoinc.com
Fri Dec 12 14:47:01 GMT 2003

I have Samba 2.2.8 on Mandrake 9.2, and have successfully been able to
create a folder that grants browse and write permissions to an NT group.
But I had to go about it the weird way; after I proved that this user
could browse the share (and that a person not in the group couldn't), I
noticed that my group member couldn't write to the share.  I
experimented with different CHMOD things, and eventually settled on 777
(since I proved that no one outside the group could get in, and everyone
in the group needs rwx anyway).  All is great.

Then I had to shut down the computer.  I brought it back up, and noticed
that my CHMOD setting went away for the aforementioned folder, back to
-rwxrw-rw- (IIRC, this was a week ago, and I paid it little attention
then).  Is this one of those clunky things like when I have to re-add
nets to the routing table after restart?  I need to know this if I go
production with this box.  Help is appreciated.

Oh, and someone here said your replies were going to me instead of the
list, and I should have that corrected.

Thanks!

Eric Geater
Network Administrator