[Samba] can not overwrite files but can delete.

Greg Whynott greg at calibredigital.com
Thu Dec 11 16:10:32 GMT 2003

What I should have mentioned but failed to,  was this is an intermitting
problem (a developers favorite kind I'm sure).  What's worse,  and this
just sounds so so wrong;  doing a 'copy & paste' will produce the error
more often than doing a 'drag and drop'.  Perhaps it is just
coincidence,  but i get the feeling it is not.  We discovered this when
I had asked the user to demonstrate the problem to me as I had not been
able to recreate it.  He came over and did a copy/paste whereas I was
dragging and dropping the same files from one window to another without
issue prior to having the user demonstrate the procedure he uses.

3-6 times out of 10 copy/pasting will throw the error.  (Cannont copy
file3.bat: Cannot find the specified file.  Make sure you specify the
correct path and filename.)

1-2 times out of 10 drag/drop will throw the error.

For the above error here is the getfacl info is as such (note in this
case the user is the same owner of both the target and source):

source:
# file: 381 backup scripts/file3.bat
# owner: matc
# group: users
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::r-x

destination:
# file: ./file3.bat
# owner: matc
# group: users
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::r-x

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com wrote:
> If users cannot overwrite their OWN files, it is probably a default acl
> gone wrong or an overly-restrictive creation mask.  If users cannot
> overwrite files other users write, then it's probably the opposite (you
> need a loose default acl, or a generous force create mask).

These particular users all have the same GID on UNIX and are part of the
same group on the windows end of things as well.  There has been no
modifications of the extended ACLs intentionally.

> Showing any lines in smb.conf that affect file/directory mask or acl's
> would be useful, along with the output of "getfacl [filename]" for one
> of the files in question.

[global]
        workgroup = SANNET
        netbios aliases = ENTROPY
        server string = ENTROPY
        security = DOMAIN
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        password server = loki
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
        unix password sync = Yes
        log file = /opt/samba/log/%m.log
        max log size = 1000
        os level = 23
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        dns proxy = No

[array]
        path = /export/array
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = yes
        writable = yes
        force create mode = 0775
        force directory mode = 0775
        oplocks = yes

We never had a user complain about this while using versions of samba
prior to 3 (for the last 4 or 5 years).

Thanks!

greg