[Samba] Windows 2000 password change with smbpasswd - login problem

David Wilson dave at dcdata.co.za
Thu Dec 11 13:58:10 GMT 2003

Hello,

Any ideas on this one ? Hopefully not being too pesky ? :)

Hi guys,

How are you ?

My setup is as follows:
Samba-3.0.0 PDC on a Slackware-9.0 box, with mixed N.T. and Windows 2000
clients.

Everything has been running perfectly for months however now, it seems
I've picked up a bit of a weird problem when changing a users password
via smbpasswd. This problem only appears to affect users who log onto
the Samba domain using a Windows 2000 PC.
i.e If I change a password for an N.T. 4.0 user the user merely has to
log out of N.T. and log back on with his new password, everything works
perfectly.
If I change a password for a Windows 2000 user, the user logs off
Windows 2000, tries to login again, but receives and incorrect
username/password error.

Ever come across this before ?

Many thanks and kind regards,

David Wilson