[Samba] Roaming profiles with Samba3

himhim himhim at graduate.hku.hk
Wed Dec 10 02:46:55 GMT 2003

Hi,

Note to Roaming profile that it requires a stable and relatively fast
connection to the server since it retrieve and synchronize quite a lot of
stuff everytime you login or logout, unluckily our organization are separated
in a few buildings and we're running over a wireless connection which couldn't
afford this luxury :P

For the time-control of the opening share, i don't think samba itself provide
this function but since it reloads smb.conf relatively fast every time it
changes (i've read somewhere that it reloads it every 60secs if changes are
made, and my personal testing shows it reloads much faster than this)

I would suggest you could simply use crontab and rotate different smb.conf
from time to time, and samba would refresh itself with the new config without
restarting the samba daemon. If you couldn't wait, you could use 'smbcontrol
force-reload' to manually reload the smb.conf. And finally disconnect the
share with 'smbcontrol smbd close-share [share-name]'

For drive disconnection it is not instant, i have no idea why, but there's
some time between you fire the 'smbcontrol smbd close-share [share-name]'
command and windows detecting the share is gone, the time gap is about 10 min
at my scenario, but it is sufficient for my case because i don't actually need
so fine-grained time-control, a few minutes delay on disconnection is
acceptable.

For share activation, it is rather easy as once the smb.conf is changed,
windows client could see that share almost instantly.

Anyone has better solution?

Cheers,
Him

(P.S. it looks that you have to issue 'smbcontrol [pid] close-share
[share-name]' to all active smbd process, i tried 'smbcontrol smbd close-share
[share-name]' but it isn't working as expected, but once i use a script to get
the list of smbd process id and issue smbcontrol to everyone of them , the
share successfully disconnects after a few minutes, i'm already happy with the
outcome tho)