[Samba] Re: Samba locking database errors : V 2.2.8 a on HP-UX 11i

Jérôme Fenal jerome.fenal at logicacmg.com
Tue Dec 9 22:30:46 GMT 2003

Foster, Ian (LogicaCMG) wrote:

> We are in the process of commissioning a new HP server (on HP-UX 11i) and
> have installed Samba which we have configured and used extensively before
> without major problems (though not this version - 2.2.8.a). Samba ran OK
> initially, but now we are getting failures with messages of 'smbd[pid]
> Cannot initialize locking database' and 'no locks available' logged to the
> syslog and no new connections can be established (can not even browse - get
> message 'Network name could not be found'). This can only be cleared by
> restarting the daemons.
>
> I have checked our smb.conf file with the testparm utility and this looks
> ok, and checked the parameters (including the defaults) against the smb.conf
> man page at samba.org in an attempt to identify any bad config. I have also
> verified the obvious - that the lock directory exists and the permissions
> are correct (if they didn't I guess it would fall over straight away).
>
> I have attached a dump of our global definitions for inspection.
>
> Has anybody any ideas what may be causing this ? I have checked the Samba
> web pages without success.
>
> Is there a bad locking option here - or some other samba / kernel threshold
> we are hitting ?
> If I can't resolve this the filestore is going to NT !
>
> Any help very gratefully recieved.

Hi,

could you send the real smb.conf, since RTF encoded testparm output is
bit clumsy to read...?

I read in the testparm dump that you are in 'security=server' mode. Do
you really need it? Does your server participate in a domain? 2.2.8a can
happily participate in a NT4 or an NT4 compat on ADS domain.

And could you check with Sam the limits of the HP-UX kernel (number of
processes for the system, by user, max number of open files, etc.)?

I'll check tomorrow on HP-UX server at work what kernel parameters could
  hit Samba.

Could you also set 'log level=' to a bit more than 1 to see more output
in the logs? That would help.

Regards,

J.

--
Jérôme Fenal - Consultant Unix/SAN/Logiciel Libre
Groupe Expert & Managed Services - LogicaCMG France