[Samba] Roaming profiles with Samba3

Jerry Haltom jhaltom at feedbackplusinc.com
Tue Dec 9 19:42:14 GMT 2003

Roaming profiles are not a function of a domain controller really. The
only thing the PDC is responsible for is handing the PATH of the profile
off to Windows. From there Windows can take over and royally fuck it up
to no end.

Problems with roaming profiles:

1. If any portion breaks (incorrect  permissions on a single file in
their start menu), the entire profile load aborts, and the user uses a
temporary profile.

2. They merge... incorrectly. If you have a person log onto two
computers, both computers download the profile, and make modifications,
and then both upload again when you log off. Some files are overwritten
from each copy, usually creating a mess.

3. When logging off, sometimes the profile unload. Reasons vary. Usually
it's a legitimate reasons: server is slow, etc. Either way, you have
modifications locally which haven't been synched remotely... or of which
half have been synched. Logging onto aanother computer loads this broken
copy. Logging off unloads, and replaces it on the server. Logging onto
the original box creates a merge of the local and remote profiles:
usually breaking stuff.

They work if you can guarentee the following: Nobody logs on twice. The
server is up all the time. Nobody touches the files.

None of this is Samba's fault.

--
Jerry Haltom <jhaltom at feedbackplusinc.com>
Feedback Plus, Inc.