[Samba] WinXP sometimes is slow opening files / browsing directories

Marco Colombo marco at esi.it
Tue Dec 9 14:06:28 GMT 2003

Hi,
I think I've been hit by the problem described here:

http://oldlook.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Linux_Networking/Q_20762641.html
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811169&Product=WinXP

The server is Red Hat Linux 9, running samba samba-2.2.7a-7.9.0.

We have client PCs running both Win98 and WinXP, but only the ones
running WinXP display the problem. Sometimes, when opening a file or
a directory, there's a delay (about 20/30 seconds). The problem seems
to happen completely at random, and is unrepeateable (closing and reopening
the same file/dir shows no delay at all).

Now, assuming I'm experiencing the problem described in the above links,
(Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811169, "Update to Increase the
Performance of the Network Redirector"), is there a way I can test for
that? To put it differently, I need a kind of proof that the problem
is _not_ server side (of which I'm pretty sure, but I need some evidence
or hint of some kind).

Are there debugging options I need to turn on to trace that?
How can I trace, say, FindFirst("*") calls (whatever they are)?
I can tcpdump the traffic if needed (I'm actually doing that,
but it seems it shows too few details for SMB packets).

(please Cc: me since I'm not subscribed)
TIA,
.TM.
--
     /      /       /			Marco Colombo