[Samba] rpcclient / adddriver returns WERR_ACCESS_DENIED

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Tue Dec 9 11:58:38 GMT 2003

> Arnst, Rainer Rainer.Arnst at ee-consultants.de
> Tue Dec 9 09:59:20 GMT 2003
>

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to prepare downloadable printer drivers for Windows-Clients
> with Samba 3.0.0-final. Everything worked fine so far. But I found no
> way to add the printer driver files to the samba database. The method
> using the Add Printer Wizard in W2k did not work for me.
>
> This is what I tried:
>
> linux4:/# rpcclient -U'root%secret' -c 'adddriver "Windows NT x86"
> "LJ6:HPBLEF2.DLL:HPBLEF49.PMD:HPBLEF0.DLL:HPBLEFJE.HLP:NULL:RAW:HPBLEF1.DLL,HPBLEF3.DLL,HPBLEF7.DLL,hpbafd32.dll,hpbftm32.dll,HPBLEF41.DLL,HPBLEF42.DLL,HPDCMON.DLL" ' localhost
> result was WERR_ACCESS_DENIED

This error typically occurs, if you haven't any driver files waiting
to be "adddriver-ed", laying in "[print$]/W32/X86/"

Once you run "rpcclient....adddriver", and it fails, you will have to
re-assure that *all* the original files are still in place. (A partially
succeeding "adddriver" may have moved the files already to the "2" or
"3" subdirectories!

But your description is not clear at all. On the one hand you say you
had used the "APW", on the other you are quoting the "rpcclient...
...adddriver" command in isolation.

An isolated "adddriver" will never work. There needs to be a step of
putting the files (somehow) into the "[print$]/W32X86/" directory
*beforehand*. The HOWTO Collection (version for Samba-3.0) suggests to
employ "smbclient" for this job.

I suggest you painstakingly follow the steps described in chapters
18.6. or 19.10./19.11. of the HOWTO Collection. See here:

     http://de.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
     http://de.samba.org/samba/docs/man/

> Any "hints" are very welcome!!

[....]

> [printers]
>         comment = All Printers
>         path = /var/spool/samba
>         browseable = no
>         public = yes
>         guest ok = yes
>         writable = yes
>         printable = yes

You want here
           writeable = no
           printable = yes

>         printer admin = root,arnstr,guest
>

> [print$]
>         comment = Printer Drivers
>         path = /etc/samba/drivers
>         browseable = yes
>         guest ok = yes
>         read only = yes
>         write list = root

I suggest you read "man cupsaddsmb" and set up your config as suggested
there.

Cheers,
Kurt