[Samba] Re: no forwardtick in filename?

Jérôme Fenal jerome.fenal at logicacmg.com
Mon Dec 8 15:38:05 GMT 2003

Holger Krull wrote:

> I can't use a ´ (forward tick, accent acute) in a filename on a samba
> share.
> Is this an error or intention?
>
> If i copy a file with ´ to the samba share the result will be, the tick
> will be converted to a capital Z with back and forward tick on it and
> the rest of the filename is dropped.
>
> samba 3.01rc1
>
> [global]
> dos charset = CP850
> unix charset = ISO8859-15
                  ^^^^^^^^^^

Forward tick is not in the iso-8859-15 table. It is really replaced by
"LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z WITH CARON" from iso-8859-1.

Only the simple computing tick is (APOSTROPHE), as well as the back-tick
(GRAVE ACCENT) : ' and `.
Maybe you should switch to UTF-8, in order to be able to map the
win-1252 table. Or switch back to iso-8859-1.

For further reference, please see :
- http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/convexp?conv=ISO-8859-15&s=ALL
- http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/convexp?conv=ISO-8859-1&s=ALL
- http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/convexp?conv=UTF-8&b=C2&s=ALL

Regards,

Jérôme

--
Jérôme Fenal - Consultant Unix/SAN/Logiciel Libre
Groupe Expert & Managed Services - LogicaCMG France