[Samba] tdbsam to ldapsam

Craig Jackson cjackson at localsurface.com
Mon Dec 8 03:44:17 GMT 2003

System: Sid ; Samba 3.0.0 ; using tdbsam ; no problems

Goal: Would like to move password, group, and user data to ldap backend.

Problem: I've read Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf and don't see exactly how
to do this as the Howto addresses primarily the password backend.

What I've done so far:
1) Created the openldap bdb and the dc=domain,dc=com base and the admin
with password.

2) Run the command, smbpasswd -w <password>
QUESTION: What user is this going use and how to set?

3) Created the openldap ou=domainUsers, ou=domainGroups, and
ou=domainComputers
QUESTION: How do I export my data to and ldif file or directly to the
dbd and how will know what my dbd tree structure is?

4) I have run the command, pdbedit -i ldapsam:ldap://domain.com but and
get credential error (relates to 2 above).

QUESTION: In order to use group data in backend, do I need nis_ldap,
pam_ldap?

Any help appreciated,
Thanks,
Craig Jackson