[Samba] More info on Home Drive mapping problems

Robert Rati Robert.Rati at motorola.com
Fri Dec 5 16:15:31 GMT 2003

I'm running Samba 3.0 on Debain stable (compiled myself) with LDAP as
the backend authentication.  I've gotten everything working except home
drive mapping (which I've gotten to work with limited success).  I
turned on log level 5 on my samba server, and I found that if I don't
enable that path variable in the [homes] section that the server is
trying to use /dev/null as the home path.  Since this obviously isn't
valid, it fails to map the home drive.  If I enable the path variable,
the user can access his home drive but ONLY his home drive.  How do I
allow a user to read/write to his home dir and read everyone else's home
dir?  Can this be done?  The home drives are located on another server
(or two).

Here's the LDAP entry for sambaHomePath:

sambaHomePath = \\<Samba server>\tester

I've also tried:
sambaHomePath = \\<Samba server>\homes
sambaHomePath = \\<Samba server>\homes\tester

and get the same result.

Here's my smb.conf:

[global]
    workgroup = <Workgroup Name>
    server string = Samba Server
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    load printers = yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    logon drive = z:
    netbios name = <Samba Server name>
    max log size = 50
    security = user
    password server = localhost:389
    encrypt passwords = true
    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost guest
    smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
    unix password sync = No
    passwd program = /usr/bin/smbldap-passwd %u
    passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *ReType*new*password* %n\n
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
    interfaces = <IP>/<subnet>
    remote browse sync = <other Samba server>
    remote announce = <subnet IP>
    local master = yes
    os level = 99
    preferred master = yes
    domain logons = yes
    name resolve order = wins host lmhosts bcast
    wins server = <wins IP>
    dns proxy = no
    case sensitive = yes

    ldap suffix = "o=suffix"