[Samba] HP LaserJet printing problems

Jean-Rene Cormier jean-rene.cormier at cipanb.ca
Fri Dec 5 15:48:58 GMT 2003

Hi, I have some problems printing to a HP LaserJet 2300 and 4200,
everything prints fine but I can't send more than 1 copy to the printer.
I installed the printer on a local WinXP box with the HP installation CD
and it worked fine but through Samba I can't print more than one copy.
We have some other HP printers, a LaserJet 2200 and 4550
and they both work fine. It's like I can't override the default copy
number in the 2300 and 4200. I don't think that there's a setting for
the default number of copy in the 2200 and the 4550 though.

Basically I only use the Samba for spooling the print jobs, and install
the printer drivers but I just can't find why it won't print more than
one copy.

Here's what the printcap entry looks like for all the printers.

HP2300:lp=192.168.1.11%9100 \
  :sd=/var/spool/lpd/%P \
  :sh:mx=0:mc=0

Jean-Rene Cormier