[Samba] Trouble browsing 3.0.0 from W98

Andrew Laing andrew at hermesdigital.net
Thu Dec 4 21:11:03 GMT 2003

Hello list!

I have a mixed network of 98 and XPHome machines I am trying to setup
with a Samba 3.0.0 file server, installed from Debian pkgs. I am able to
connect from the XPHome machines without a problem, yet from 98, I
can see the server (Aries) from NetNeighborhood but get an error when I
try to connect stating that the server could not be found (sorry don't
have the exact text. It has been a week since I've been on site, and I
am trying to fix this remotely from two hours drive away).

What does work fine from 98 is:
	net use s: \\192.168.0.5\any_share

Though this gives similar error as browsing from NetNeighborhood:
	net use s: \\aries\any_share

I have used a variety of smb.conf options, stabbing blindly in the dark,
trying to resolve this, including using swat. I feel a little over my
head since I have set this up before and not encountered such problems.
The network had had a Novell server previously, and I wondered if the
machines were still using modified network DLLs or something but have
confirmed that a new 98 install behaves the same. Tests I have done
from aries that seem to produce interesting results are:

	nmblookup -M -- -.

returns the address of an XP machine on the network, if it's on, and a
failure if it's not.

Also,

	nmblookup -U aries -R aries

produces 192.168.0.5 aries<00>, but,

	nmblookup -R aries

produces name_query failed to find name aries. I am unsure if I am
misusing/misunderstanding nmblookup or not.

Anyway, I appreciate any help or clarification anyone might lend.

Thank you,

Andrew Laing
<andrew at hermesdigital.net>

# Global parameters